Since 1975, Computer Engineering has been taught as a discipline within the Electronics and Communication Engineering Department of the Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
In 1991, the Faculty of Engineering at Cairo University decided to establish the first Computer Engineering Department in Egypt. During the academic year 1991/1992, the detailed curricula for the proposed department was designed and finally approved by the Supreme Council of universities in March 1993. The Computer Engineering Department was therefore inaugurated in September 1993; the first undergraduate class was accepted in the academic year 1993/1994 for graduation in 1997. Postgraduate studies started in the department in the academic year 1995/1996.
Within the general objectives of the Faculty of Engineering at Cairo University, and to cope with the ever increasing development in computer and information technologies, the Computer Engineering Department has the specific goal of supplying creative engineers capable of performing basic and applied research in engineering sciences related to computers not only to cover scientific research but also to come up with non-traditional solutions to technical problems confronting various organizations within the government, industry and private sector.
The current program has been designed to support both academic and professional interests as well as all the necessary soft communication and entrepreneurship skills. The core courses provide the skills necessary for a computer engineer to analyze, design, develop and implement Intelligent computer and information systems and computer networks. The curricula emphasizes the areas of computer hardware design, computer networks, and machine intelligence, embedded and distributed systems, operating systems and system software engineering and database and information systems engineering. More emphasis now is given to computer and network Security, wireless and mobile networks, big data and data mining. In addition to giving the student a fundamental background in Computer Engineering, a wide variety of elective courses allow for study and research in many specialized areas. These areas cover image processing and computer vision, robotics, expert systems, and computational intelligence.
Computer Engineering International Conference:
Since 2004, The Department has been organizing ICENCO conference. Icenco as an acronym of International Computer Engineering Conference. In 2014, the tenth conference will be held under the name:
10th International Computer Engineering Conference
“Today Information Society What’s next?”
Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University
Cairo, EGYPT December 29-30, 2014
• Computer Networks
• Wireless And Mobile Networks
• Computer and Network Security
• Machine Intelligence and Expert Systems
• Computational Intelligence
• Computer Architecture
• Database and Information Management Systems and Data Warehousing
• Computer Graphics, Data Visualization and Virtual Reality
• Image Analysis, Processing, and Computer Vision.
• Big Data and Data Mining.
• High Performance and Cloud Computing
• Microprocessor Design and Embedded Systems
• Parallel Processing and Cloud Computing
• Language Understanding, Processing and Language Translation
• Signal processing and Multi Media Digital Systems
• Intelligent Robotics Engineering
• Software Engineering and Programming Languages
• Operating Systems.
• Computer Systems Manufacturing
The Computer Engineering Department is currently equipped with the necessary facilities to serve students, faculty members and researchers; namely:
• PC Lab 1
• Parallel and Multi Core Processing Lab
• Intelligent Agents, and Robotics Lab
• Logic Circuits and Microprocessors
• PC Lab 2
• Computer Graphics, Image Processing and Virtual Reality Lab
• Computer Networks and Wireless Networks Lab
• Design and Simulation of Logic and Computer Systems.
• Cloud Computing and Computer Security Lab.
• Information, database Systems Programming Lab.
• Mobile Computing and ELearning Lab
• Cisco CNNA / Aroba Wireless Network Lab.
An integrated library system with a complete set of IEEE / ACM dating back to the early seventies. Student and Researchers have full access to IEEE digital library through the Supreme Council of University Library System (Eucl.edu.eg). Students have also access to other central facilities available in the faculty and the university.
Computer Engineering is hosting the E-Learning facility used for all its courses and is offering the service to all other staff and student. E-Learning was started as part of the tempus project JEP 32092 which has three institutes cooperating to develop courses for the computer Engineering department. These institutes are:
• Computer Engineering Dept., Faculty of Engineering, Cairo university.
• Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule (RWTH Aachen, Grermany).
• Institut National des Telecommunications (Every, France).
The E-Learning Center has several advanced database and Web servers and Video Streaming Server to host the E-Learning site. These facilities are available for all staff of Faculty of Engineering and Cairo University. Moreover, regular E-Learning training courses are offered to staff members and teaching assistants planning to use E-Learning as a tool for enhancing the educational experience of their students. This training provides hands on approach for them to implements their courses within Moodle Environment. The training includes the following:
• Creating Moodle Activities:
– Adding an Assignment
– Off-line activity
– Online text
– Upload a single file
– Adding a Chat tool
– Adding a Choice
– Adding a Forum
– Adding a Lesson
– Adding a Quiz (Multiple Choice, True/False, Short Answers).
• How to prepare a Course on Moodle
– Adding Resources (Create a Label, Create a text page, Create a web page, Create a link to file or website, Create a display to directory, Create an IMS Package, Upload your files).
– Setting-up a course (Adding users to a course, setting up/Adding Blocks, Create and manage user groups).
– Administrate your course (Back-up and Restore a course, Import course data, Reset a course, View reports, Viewing Grades).
The training is conducted in hands on format. The training attendees are able to try all the steps in a real environment with a Moodle engine. All Computer Engineering currently offered courses are hosted on the site:
Staff Members :
The Department council is chaired by Prof. Dr. Ihab Elsayed Talkhan
The total number of faculty is (25) and the total number of teaching assistances is (56) distributed as follows:
Fathi Hassan Saleh
Aly Hassan Fahmy
Samir Ibrahim Shaheen
Ahmed Mahmoud Nazif
Nevin Mahmoud Darwish
Magda Bahaa Eldin Fayek
Hoda Anis Baraka
Ahmed Mahmoud Darwish
Amir Fouad Sorial
Ihab Elsayed Talkhan (Chair)
El-Sayed Eissa Hemayed
Hatem Mahmoud Alboghdady
Tarek Abd Alghani Hendam
Amr Galal Wassal
Rabie Abdel-Taob Ramdan
Howaida Farouk Ismail
Raafat Sayed ElFouly
Ahmed Refaat Bashandy
Hanem Abdel-Hamed Al-Adly
Ahmed Adel Sobih
Saleh Ibrahim Mohamed
Mona Farouk Ahmed
Ahmed Abdel Fatah Morgan
Mohamed Alaa Eldin Hassanin
Mayada Mansor Hadhood